21 Jan 2015

Multiple Exposure Vol.10 – Charlie Romijn (Thought Forms)


Our Multiple Exposure series where we ask musicians to tell us about their favourite pieces of 'repetitive' music carries on with a new list of tracks. 

Following the recent list from King Coffey from the Butthole Surfers we have Charlie Romijn from the band Thought Forms who are signed to our good friends Invada Records.

Charlies 15 tracks are:

Get The Blessing - Viking Death Moped
One of my favourite tracks from their latest album “Lope and Antilope”. 
Trumpet and sax sprawl over repetitive, unrelenting bass which seems simple at first, but on closer inspection makes absolutely no sense. 
Get The Blessing

Swans - Half Life
Pure filth. 
The Swans

Melanie De Biasio - I’m Gonna Leave You 
Melanie De Biasio’s version of “I’m Gonna Leave You” is, like the rest of her album “No Deal”, dark, warm, spacious, contagious… The bass reminds me of a track by The For Carnation. It feels like walking around a city late at night, alone, in the rain. 
Melanie De Biasio

Paik - Dirt For Driver
Detroit band Paik have an huge sound to everything they do and "Dirt For Driver" (from their album "Satin Black") is based around a colossal guitar riff, over and over. They always put a smile on my face but this song in particular equals pure elation.  
Paik

Landing - Each Man For Himself
Landing have got a very "air and water" sound. Get swept along in their currents. I'm really happy this band are back in action.
Landing

Le Tigre - Hot Topic
I will never not dance to Le Tigre. This feminist floor-filler is a piece of repetitive pop genius. 
Le Tigre

Portishead - We Carry On
This was the first song I heard from "Third". 
It's really intense and on the edge, there are times when it feels like it's going to burn right through my stomach but it never spins completely out of control. Having been lucky enough to see Portishead live many times, watching them close their set with this is as good as it gets. 
Portishead

Serge Gainsbourg - Requiem Pour Un Con
That drum sound...
Serge Gainsbourg

Allerseelen - Gondellied (Gaya)
I got given this track by Austrian "Allerseelen" on a mixtape and got really into the sound, it's quite mysterious and for some reason a bit unsettling while being completely compelling. 
Allerseelen

Ravel - Bolero
I became obsessed with this piece when I was a kid after seeing Torvil and Dean on TV. 
My Gran found it amusing that I would dance my Barbie doll through all 17-odd minutes of it just so I could make her fall down at the end. It’s so grand and (truly) epic. Still gives me shivers. 
Ravel

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
Rich and hypnotic… 
Alice Coltrane

Terry Riley - In C
I love how powerful this piece of music is. I love that it is repetitive yet ever evolving. I love the way each phrase interlocks with the next and then gradually, intuitively fades away as the piece moves on, taking the musicians with it... 
It completely obliterates all sense of time.  
Really great driving music. Not so great parking music.
Terry Riley

The Horrors - Moving Further Away
The Horrors are one of my favourite bands in recent years and this is one of my favourite songs. Ever. 
It's just perfect. 
The Horrors

Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
A standout track from her Beck-produced album of the same title. 
Charlotte Gainsbourg

Oneida - Up With People
Nobody does it better... 
Oneida

Image by Jack Gregory

---